Psalm 63:1-8
Oh God, you are my God,
earnestly I seek you;
my soul thirsts for you,
my body longs for you,
in a dry and weary land
where there is no water.
I have seen you in the sanctuary
and beheld your power and your glory.
Because your love is better than life,
my lips will glorify you.
I will praise you as long as I live,
and in your name I will lift up my hands.
My soul will be satisfied as with the richest of foods;
with singing lips my mouth will praise you.
On my bed I remember you;
I think of you through the watches of the night.
Because you are my help,
I sing in the shadow of your wings.
My soul clings to you;
your right hand upholds me.
--
When the soul does not. When my heart is empty and seemingly stuffed full with nothingness. When all of me knows that at the hand of the Lord are glorious riches and blessings, that through His Son I have peace in God and peace with God, that in Him there is grace that is found, grace that finds me. And yet the vacuum is not filled, the space stays empty. When grace abounds and my heart is limp. When love is steadfast and my soul reaches out and yet finds no satisfaction. Will I still say, "It is well with my soul", will I still declare, "Your grace is enough for me", will I still life my hands and say, "Blessed be the name of the Lord", will I rejoice and be glad, will I still go to the edge of the waters when my soul is not "as the deer panting for streams of water", will I carry my cross, when I know not to where I carry it? When I am at the door of light, the gate to life, will I still sit in the darkness? When I am sitting in broken cisterns hewed out by my own hands, will I place my trust in the One who has called my name, who has called me child, who has made a way and torn the veil, will I claim Him as my God, as my Lord and my Saviour? Will I eat my fill of this world, and forsake what is best, will I take from all else that is not His and leave what I know can satisfy?
Oh Lord will I "praise you as long as I live", when I have no strength, when I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that you are my God, that you are my Saviour, that you came to give me life, that your Spirit holds me fast, that you are my light, you are my shield, you are my defender, you are my helper, you sustain me, you save me, you sanctify me. Will I speak with my lips to glorify you and profane you with my heart, will the attitude of what is inside put to shame the outward appearance. Will my soul lips sing and my heart be hard as stone.
Lord breathe into me once again, touch this heart and transform it into flesh that beats for your name, that seeks your glory, that seeks your face, that knows your name: Justice, Mercy, Grace, Abounding Love, Father. Be my all in all.
By Christ I will live, by Christ I will stand, by Christ I will kneel and know you God. By Christ I will pour myself out to you, even as I feel I have nothing to pour, even as I feel foolish, a failure, unworthy and utterly far from you. Lord would your Spirit bear witness with mine that I am your child, that I am loved and that I have been drawn out of the fire and into the kingdom of light. By your Spirit may I mortify the deeds of the flesh, live in the light, and live by grace. For it is by grace that I have been saved, through faith in Christ. Let me not falter Lord, though I am prone to wander, oh Lord I feel it, I know it. Bring me to my knees, bring me to dependence on you, on your Word, on your Spirit, on your grace, on Christ. Let it be on Christ that I stand, this solid rock, and not this world of sand and fleeting pleasures, but on the cross, to lift my eyes up to be saved. How great, how mysterious, how glorious.
06 January 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment