10 January 2010

The discussion drifted to downloading music and piracy and all that stuff in Sunday School today, and I felt like there was something terribly wrong with the way people were thinking. I do believe that downloading music through torrents or limewire or peer to peer sharing or whatever the hell is wrong when it's not through a legit source. I don't really think that it's the gray issue that people try to make it, and that it's really just more black and white. I think when you have the option to buy it from a store or iTunes or whatever, and you go and download, that would be stealing it. I don't buy into the whole sample on youtube free it's promotions I do it because I can't afford it kind of stuff. I think even by just using terms like piracy and bootleg and file sharing and all those fancy words or 'grey' words to describe it is just making it something to think about, if not automatically making you believe it's not right. I didn't really want to speak up either because I didn't feel like people would think any different than they've thought all along. I think the definition of stealing we came up with was taking something that was not yours or illegally acquiring something, something along the lines of that. Maybe it's just a personal thing, but when the topic of the class is stealing and it was said that we should live above reproach, I would think that we would come to some sort of conclusion.

No comments: