'Teach me your way, O Lord, that I may walk in your truth, unite my heart to fear your name.'
Psalms 86:11
--
'Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.'
Matthew 5:5
"The way of meekness is natural, in the sense that it's part of our nature, but not easy. Becoming like a child in a culture that tells me to be grown up and important is a step downwards. Dying the death of submission in a world that rewards those who seize control feels foolhardy. Giving away money to those who are in need now means I have to trust God for all I need for the future. It is difficult to follow Jesus in a calling that others are better qualified to accomplish or requires me to sacrifice something that Jesus doesn't seem to be requiring my friends to sacrifice. And adopting the attitude of a slave means that I must set self aside day after day. Finally, obeying people I perceive to be inferior or whom I simply don't want to obey means that I tie myself to others when I would rather worship freedom and independence.
These are painful deaths to die. But they enrich the soil in which good things grow."
- Scott A. Bessenecker
13 September 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment